buttons
bbutton

Previous Photo      Next Photo

Close window to return to Artifacts

Buttons are frequently recovered from historic archaeological sites.  The left button is a porcelain shirt button; this variety saw widespread use from 1840 through the end of the 19th century.  The central stamped iron button was a utilitarian button commonly used on trousers.  The right button is a hard rubber button with a floral design; it was manufactured by Nelson Goodyear after 1851.